Tooth pain is a symptom of problems related to your teeth or jaw. Severe tooth pain usually occurs due to tooth decay, cavity or tooth infection. Proper dental care is a must to prevent toothache. Northgate Dental Centre Ltd. provides complete dental care services, including oral hygiene, dentures and restorative dentistry in Edmonton. We ensure that our clients get quality dental services as per their requirements.
Consult your dentist immediately if you have severe tooth pain. Tips for minimizing toothache are:
- Use a cold compress for the painful side of your mouth to numb pain
- Rinse with mouthwash to disinfect a painful tooth
- Avoid eating certain foods (acidic or cold) that might aggravate pain
- Rinsing with salt water (use warm water) or diluted hydrogen peroxide can minimize pain and inflammation
- Used peppermint tea bags can be applied to the affected area to numb pain
Major Causes and Quick Remedies for Tooth Pain
Although remedies help you with temporary pain relief, it’s essential to learn the pain reasons. Here are some causes of tooth pain and their treatments:
Cavities are the most common problem for tooth pain, and they affect your teeth enamel. If left untreated, they could damage your teeth, leading to toothache and even tooth loss.
Tips to Prevent Cavities
- Fluoride cleaning can help prevent bacteria growth. It reverses the process of decay and helps avoid acid production, especially among children. Some dentists prescribe fluoridated toothpaste to strengthen your teeth and fight decay
- Regular cleaning detects early symptoms of tooth decay, gingivitis or periodontal problems
- Brushing and flossing twice a day
- Maintaining a proper diet
2. Tooth Damage
A cracked or chipped tooth might cause pain. The tooth gets damaged mainly due to accidents or chewing certain foods such as ice and candies. For a cracked tooth, your dentist might suggest a crown or filling to reduce the pain.
Treatment for Tooth Damage:
- A veneer is fitted in front of your teeth to correct broken or chipped teeth
- Your dentist might recommend root canal treatment for severe tooth pain
3. Gum Infection
The main reasons for gum infection are poor dental care, smoking, diabetes and also diet. Gum infection can lead to tooth decay and cause gum diseases such as gingivitis or periodontitis.
- Regular dental care helps remove plaque and prevents gum infection
- To eliminate plaque build-up from your gums, dentists might recommend scaling and root planing
An abscessed tooth occurs when all of the pulp inside your tooth dies. A damaged tooth or an infection can also lead to an abscess.
Treatments for Abscess
- Antibiotics are recommended to kill the bacteria
- A root canal or a tooth implant is recommended to replace the damaged tooth
- If an abscess is caused due to gum disease, ensure proper treatment to clean gums